spawn n : the mass of eggs deposited by fish or amphibians or molluscs
2 lay spawn; "The salmon swims upstream to spawn"
- Rhymes: -ɔːn
- To deposit eggs in water, as fish.
- To reproduce, especially in large numbers.
- To produce (eggs) in great number.
- To bring into being, especially in very large numbers
- To bring forth non-mammalian beings.
- The fertilized eggs of aquatic organisms
The word spawn can have several meanings:
- Biological spawning
- Spawn (computing)
- Spawn (comics), a fictional character in the comic series of the same name.
- Spawn (album), an album by Rise Robots Rise
- Spawning (computer gaming)
- Spawning bed, an installation used in fishery management to increase fish reproduction
- Spawning networks, a type of computer network
spawn in French: Spawn
spawn in Italian: Spawn
spawn in Dutch: Spawn
spawn in Polish: Spawn
albumen, bear, beget, breed, bring about, bring forth, bring into being, brood, call into being, cause, caviar, clutch, coin, conceive, concoct, contrive, cook up, create, deposit, design, develop, devise, discover, dream up, drop, egg, egg white, eggshell, engender, evolve, fabricate, farrow, father, fish eggs, frame, fry, generate, get, give being to, give birth to, give rise to, glair, hatch, improvise, invent, lay, litter, make, make do with, make up, mature, mint, nest, originate, ovule, parent, plan, procreate, produce, roe, sire, spat, strike out, think out, think up, vitellus, white, yellow, yield, yolk, young